> > > I am a total newb to spamassassin and some network tools you mentioned
> > > so I don't know how to do what you suggested.  I looked up spamc and I
> > > see it's the client to spamd, but I didn't understand fully what I read.
> >
> > By this I assume that you are using "spamassassin" directly and not
> > "spamc".  (That's okay.  I use "spamassassin" directly too. :-)  The
> > two are almost the same thing in functionality.  In which case you can
> > translate that instruction into feed the message into spamassassin.

I seriously hope Marc is simply using the provided SA Junk plugin. :)
In which case he actually does use spamc. But does *not* need to know
about how spamc/d interacts, or about command line options.

> > You can also tell if spamassassin is working by the presence of X-Spam
> > headers in the processed messages.  If the header is there then
> > spamassassin is processing the message.  If not then it isn't.

Unfortunately, this does not apply. Evolution does not alter the already
fetched mail that merely is being processed with local (client!)
filters. These headers are not being added.

Keep in mind we are talking SA usage by the *MUA*.

> > One very large lever is the Bayes engine.  But it needs 200 spam
> > messages and 200 non-spam messages before it will have enough history
> > to add to the scoring.  You can see how many messages have been
> > processed using sa-learn like this:
> >
> >   sa-learn --dump magic
>
> Not top replying is goiing to be a tough thing to get used to.  I did
> the magic dump and this is my result.

Thanks! Please keep it up. :)  And btw, while moving the cursor down the
mail, you can reply inline where appropriate and snip unnecessary
parts. ;)

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ sa-learn --dump magic
> 0.000          0          3          0  non-token data: bayes db
> version
> 0.000          0       1312          0  non-token data: nspam
> 0.000          0        693          0  non-token data: nham

Bayes works.

  guenther

--
char *t="[EMAIL PROTECTED]";