On May 22, 2008, at 7:29 AM, Jonas Eckerman wrote:
Jo Rhett wrote:

I'm not -- my Treo delivers mail directly to my mail server. From DHCP-assigned addresses all over the world. I enjoy travel ;-)

Then I guess you use authenticated SMTP for that.
The easiest way to handle this probably is to simply avoid calling SA for authenticated mail.

That's a hack with consequences. Like "just disable the firewall". Uh, no ;-)

Lots of users of this host have Windows PCs, and running SA on all outbound mail has both alerted them quickly to the problem and avoided nailing other people with spam and/or virus runs.

Another way to do it would be to use different AWLs, or disabling AWL, for mail from your own users (either authenticated or locally submitted). This makes a lot of sense to me.

Have no "my own users" except me ;-) And disabling AWL entirely is again a hack. Let's focus on a fix.

A more involved change would be to have the AWL store the authentication state as well as mail address and relay IP/16. When scanning mail from your own users using the same AWL database as for for mail to your users, this seems necessary to me.

Again, this seems to be a lot of work for no real gain. What I have proposed makes sense for widespread use. Why hack/slash/burn when a good fix would improve it for everyone?

--
Jo Rhett