On Thu, 22 May 2008, Jo Rhett wrote:

Then I guess you use authenticated SMTP for that.
The easiest way to handle this probably is to simply avoid calling SA for authenticated mail.

That's a hack with consequences. Like "just disable the firewall". Uh, no ;-)

Lots of users of this host have Windows PCs, and running SA on all outbound mail has both alerted them quickly to the problem and avoided nailing other people with spam and/or virus runs.

Genuine curiosity Jo, have you seen instances of viruses/trojans sending
-authenticated- mail? Have they learned how to read users' passwords, etc?

We require our PC users to authenticate when sending and I had assumed that would stop viruses/trojans. Am I being naive?

#include <std_disclaimer.h>