ram wrote:
You might be surprised , but that is not exactly true. I have seen a lot
of backscatter from Cisco Ironports. Most Ironport boxes dont do any address verification at the time
accepting mail, and then send NDR's. But if these are getting SPF fail,
then these messaged may get discarded as spam ( I assume )

discarding would not be reasonable. They can however discard the bounce in case of SPF/DKIM fail (or any other heuristics). but do they really do that? There is still a risk to discard a legitimate bounce (a lot of SPF records do not match "reality": they may not be updated, they may not include all relays, ... etc). I'm not sure a vendor can take this road currently (they can offer this as an option, but will the admin ever notice or understand it?).

Also this would assume that the final server does address validation at smtp time. but this is not always true. so the appliance will not know whether the address was valid or not, and the final server sends a bounce after accepting the message from the appliance.

And this may happen with a lot of other outsourced antispam vendors too

While MSPs may have mitigation methods (Postini relays in real time unless the final site is down, dyndns discards mail to invalid recipients, ...), a lot of backscatter is generated by their customers (the final server accepts then bounces).