On 28 Aug 2008, Marc Perkel told this:

> Here's something I threw together to make sure the /etc/resolv.conf
> points to a working nameserver. I run this once a minute.

How do you arrange that all the existing programs that have already
sucked in resolv.conf note the change? They're generally not going to
unless you restart them: nothing polls resolv.conf looking for changes
to it as far as I know, that would be far too inefficient.

>                                                      It checks to
> see what name servers are up and creates /etc/resolv.conf. As you all
> know SA and mail servers need the first nameserver to always be
> working.

But these are both root-owned daemons and you're not restarting any
of them.