Uff!

Stock glibc v.2.6.1, source file resolv/res_libc.c, line#167:

        if (stat (_PATH_RESCONF, &statbuf) == 0 && last_mtime !=
statbuf.st_mtime) {

_PATH_RESCONF is /etc/resolv.conf; last_mtime is the last modify time (the
previous modify time) of the /etc/resolv.conf file.

I don't know which glibc version you have, but trust me this code had been
there by long time.

I you have a "twisted" version of glibc, please share: it is free software
and you have to publish any change to it... :)

Giampaolo