Bob -

You can give read permissions (if needed) on the SpamAssassin CPAN build folder (usually /root/.cpan/build/<packagename>-<random-key> - on my system it was: /root/.cpan/build/Mail-SpamAssassin-3.2.5-Bpy3vr) to some non-root user on your system - ie: bob

as bob run make test in the /root/.cpan/build/<packagename>-<random-key> folder.

If that succeeds then you can switch back to root and finish installing via make install.

-Chris H