On Sun, 30 Nov 2008, SM wrote:

At 21:45 30-11-2008, Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
Since getting my hosts natively speaking ipv6, I've been seeing a lot of initial timeouts connecting to spamc, because I believe it's apparently trying ipv6 first.

spamc: connect to spamd on 2001:470:1f07:a7f::1 failed, retrying (#1 of 3): Connection refused

[snip]

However, I cannot get the -A systax for spamd to accept connections from a given address, nor does it appear to be listening on said address:

quark# netstat -na | grep LIST | grep 783
tcp4       0      0  *.783                  *.*                    LISTEN

Use the -i parameter to specify the IPv6 address. The -A parameter to specify the host which can connect to spamd and not the IP address on which spamd should listen on.

So then, you're saying the behavior for ipv4 and ipv6 is somehow different?

I am starting spamd with -i but no ip specified, according to the docs:

"If you specify no IP address after the switch, spamd will listen on all interfaces. (This is equal to the address 0.0.0.0)."

"All Interfaces" != "0.0.0.0"

At the very least, this is a docbug and should be amended to say "all ipv4 interfaces".

No mention is made of whether or not multiple -i arguments can be specified, but from my research, only the first -i is used, and you cannot comma-separate.

This is a second docbug, or a functionality that should be added to listen on v4 and v6 simultaneously.

Additionally, even when I get this working, I am unable to specify ipv6 addresses to -A, either with or without square brackets.

Behaviorally, spamc *tries v6 by default* but spamd requires hoop-jumping. This is a consistency problem and should also be looked into.

V6 is coming, fast. Things like this are worth chasing down. Let me know if you need me to run any other debugs or anything.

If you need access to my systems, please just say the word. I like having something to offer in the solution of a problem, other than just complaints :)

-Dan

--

"Man, this is such a trip"

-Dan Mahoney, October 25, 1997