On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 23:35, Karsten Bräckelmann
<guent...@rudersport.de> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-16 at 15:06 +0000, Justin Mason wrote:
>
>> actually, Bayes would be a good one to drop.  If you also remove AWL,
>> and comment out both "loadplugin" lines, you will remove the need to
>> load the DB_File database module too.
>>
>> commenting plugins and removing rulesets is definitely the way to go.
>> you may be able to keep some net rules active -- trading long scan
>> times and latency for low memory.
>
> Why is that?  Given the, uhm, quite low specs of that box, scanning a
> message will consume a few seconds CPU cycles anyway. Adding net tests,
> which don't require CPU but just "add" latency (well, background tasks),
> should be less of an issue the longer SA needs anyway.

I think we're agreeing. ;)  Removing plugins means lowering the per-process
memory footprint.  I presume there's a very low messages/minute throughput
rate -- ie. it's a 1-person scanning server, or similar.  In that situation, you
can set the number of spamd children to a low value and limit concurrency.

BTW you definitely want to use spamd, rather than the "spamassassin" script.
It's good at sharing memory.

Obviously I wouldn't use this as a scanning server for an office full of people,
but for a 1-man home network I can't see why not... it'd certainly be a nice
reduction in power consumption. ;)

--j.