Rasmus Haslund wrote:
>> After a loud outcry from our users from the increasing level of spam in
>> their inboxes, I installed the Botnet >Plugin.
>>
> Is this something that can be used with the SA in Icewarp Merak?

Because Rasmus manages a mail server where B2B mail is routinely
sent/received _globally_, Rasmus is the king of finding FPs. I could be
wrong, but judging from previous reports about the Botnet Plugin, I
predict that Rasmus will either (a) find the Botnet Plugin utterly
unusable due to FPs, or (b) only be able to score it by a point or two
due to excessive FPs. (Rasmus--by all means--please don't take my word
for it--try it out and then let us know what happened!)

Regarding using the Botnet Plugin as a replacement for SaneSecurity... I
found that the _best_ part about SaneSecurity was its assistance with
catching spam that could NOT ever be caught using _any_ kind of DNSBL.
For example, "419" scam spams sent from the large freemail providers
where the message cannot possibly be blocked because of being sent from
an IP that send large amounts of legit mail and because there is simply
no domain in the body of the message for surbl/uribl/ivmURI to grab
onto. THAT was the best part about SaneSecurity, imo.

Therefore, if someone is missing SaneSecurity, I'd suggest first making
sure they have Sought Rules installed and frequently updating--if not
already running.

QUESTIONS:

Is SaneSecurity still collecting data and generating the rulesets? (but
just not able to distribute them)

Is there any end in sight for the DDOS?

Has anyone tried to mitigate their DDOS? (There is a super-secret list
out there consisting of professionals who work for all the largest ISPs
and security vendors. They have ways to help mitigate these things. They
look for IPs conducting the DDOS, on each of their own networks, and
they simply shut those IPs down at the access point.)

--
Rob McEwen
http://dnsbl.invaluement.com/