That's why you can exempt some senders.  You don't have to force the
City of Pasadena to fix their mail servers.  You can simply find out
what their mail servers are, through various means, and give them some
form of exemption/whitelisting.  I did that for our chancellors wife,
for example :-)  I've also done it for a few of our vendors where it
couldn't be fixed (the funniest example being where the marketing guy
had been complaining to IT about it long before I even wrote Botnet,
and the IT guys just refused to fix it... funny because the marketing
guy was more cluful about best practices than the person whose job it
was to actually pay attention to those best practices).

That's at work.  We get vanishingly few FP's at work (millions of
messages per week, less than 100 tickets about it in 3-4 years (I
think less than 30 tickets about it)).

At home, I'm just a bastard about it.  None of my friends are on
services that are that poorly configured (so no need to whitelist
anyone that I _would_ given a whitelist entry to).  I'm not interested
in anyone else's half baked excuses about why they haven't fixed it
before, nor why they wont fix it in the future, so that group wouldn't
get a whitelist entry even if they asked for it.