On Feb 14, 2009, at 3:47 PM, Lindsay Haisley wrote:

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 15:04 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
I would bet on Bayes/userpref queries being more efficient than
the
spamc/spamd traffic.

I like that you are asking the question. But I hate to guess at which is better though. The weakest benchmark data point is better than the strongest guess. Too often I have taken my best guess and been wrong.
In this case I would guess the opposite would be more efficient, that
the one spamc-spamd connection per message would be more efficient
than the many mysql queries per message, which is why I bring this up.

Well that's something to consider.  I had hoped when I subscribed to
this list to ask this question that I'd find people, possibly SA
developers on it, who had benchmarked the options I presented for
decision and could give me some definitive answers based on this, but it appears that this isn't the case. Instead I've found several people of
good will who don't seem to know a whole lot more about SA than I do,
but have given me some good points to think about.

Do you have any idea where I might inquire to get advice from people
with more precise knowledge?

This is the best place. Its not a common setup so I don't doubt that anyone really knows the correct answer.

One data point I'll add is that spamc has a compress mode that might be useful (spamc -z). Also, it would take a little work on your end but you can also pass in --headers to further reduce the spamc/spamc traffic. Check out the spamc man page for more info.

One other thing related to MySQL. I've never personally done it but I'm certain there are ways you could use MySQL proxy or perhaps even federated tables to manage this sort of thing. MySQL proxy has lots of different functions, I'm sure compression is either one of them or at least something that can be easily bolted on.

Michael

--
Lindsay Haisley       | "Everything works    |    Accredited
FMP Computer Services |       if you let it" |      by the