Dave Funk wrote:
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, Marc Perkel wrote:

Lindsay Haisley wrote:

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 22:06 -0800, Marc Perkel wrote:

Dave Funk wrote:

Yes, it -is- that simple. ;)
Not recommended for normal use but if you understand the risks involved,
it does work that way.

Thanks Dave, but I already tried that and it didn't work.

See <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildcard_DNS_record> and in particular
the quote from RFC 1912.

Is that going to tell me what I need to know to do what I asked to do?

OK, check this out. I set up a sandbox zone ("marc.icaen.uiowa.edu") for you to play with to see that it works as you requested.

Do:
  dig marc.icaen.uiowa.edu. mx
  dig something.marc.icaen.uiowa.edu. mx
  dig this.that.marc.icaen.uiowa.edu. mx
  dig a.b.c.d.e.f.marc.icaen.uiowa.edu. mx

and so on and so forth.

Once you decide that it works as desired (or you tell me what else you want it to do) I'll send you the zone file.

YES! That's it! How do you do that? Thanks in advance.