--On Monday, February 16, 2009 8:57 AM +1300 Michael Hutchinson <mhutchin...@manux.co.nz> wrote:

"plenty of people are greedy, gullible, uninformed, overly trusting,
stupid, or some combination of the above"

This also means: "Anyone that doesn't use a computer as much as an
E-Mail administrator"

Coincidentally, this blog entry was referenced on Slashdot today:

<http://davidakin.blogware.com/blog/_archives/2009/2/14/4093378.html>

Slashdot coverage:

<http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=09/02/15/2114216>

Comment there suggesting that it might really be the users:

<http://it.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1128853&cid=26867445>

You can't expect everyone to know enough about Spam to not be fooled by
it. The reason people do get fooled is because they aren't all computer
technicians. Everyone is good at something, lets not get carried away
and blame joe bloggs for being.. joe bloggs.. after all, he might be the
next automotive technician to fix your car.

I agree that everyone is ignorant about something, and often an expert at something else. But I don't think that you need to be an email/spam expert to recognize a con. The same principles used in these things are also successfully used in telephone and paper mail scams, where knowledge of the communicating technology is irrelevant.

I think our culture suffers from too little skepticism.