-----Original Message-----
From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas [mailto:uh...@fantomas.sk]
Sent: Tuesday, 17 March 2009 10:17 p.m.
To: users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: Re: JoeJobbed - Vbounce plugin - SPF?.

On 17.03.09 14:02, Michael Hutchinson wrote:
>> I'm running Spamassassin 3.1.7, with netqmail 1.05, ClamAv etc..

> ooooold ! The current SA version is 3.2.5 - upgrade.

Yes, I know it's old :) The upgrade is in the pipeline, but not for a
couple of months yet. Mind you, it still runs pretty well and does catch
a lot of Spam, for it's age.

>> We initially tried 'riding out the storm' as it were, but were unable

>> to keep on top of the load put on the servers by excessive E-Mail
>> messages requiring scanning by SA. This got so bad that the
mailserver
>> had become unresponsive to our clients.

> qmail is known for bouncing, instead of rejecting unknown recipients
at SMTP leve. You filter unknown
> recipients? If not, this is your problem.

If an smtproutes entry forces me to accept unknown recipients for said
affected domain, then Yes, and I would assume that this is the
behaviour.

>> How might I keep delivery flowing to valid recipients for the domain
>> (smarthosted (smtproutes) to exchange) but reject the blowback at
SMTP
>> time?

>So you do NOT reject invalid recipients? Change qmail, or at least its
SMTP server. There are afaik some
>that can do that.

Yes, that can be done with a valid rcptto patch for qmail. I've not
applied the patch, but have added it to the list.

>And, optionally, consider some rules of rejecting before queeuing -
block invalid HELO strings, senders in
>some reliable blacklists etc.

This helps. I will work at blocking invalid HELO and some certain
subjects at SMTP time, for a while after a joe job.

>> I was considering convincing the powers to let me setup SPF, but
their
>> requirement would be to have both v1 and v2 spf tags - and I'm not
>> sure whether Q-Mail is up to both yet, but some kind of SPF
>> implementation where we check the tags (not necessarily publish them)

>> but I guess that's an MTA question:)

>forget SPF v2. Use v1 but don't expect huge results, there's still many
SMTP servers not checking the
>SPF...

OK, What's wrong with SPF v2 ?

Thanks for your reply, Matus, I appreciate your help and ideas.
Cheers,
Michael Hutchinson
Manux Solutions Limited.