> Nope, you don't. You got a problem with your custom rules.
>

> > here is what it is tripping on...
> >
> >   0.7 FH_HOST_EQ_D_D_D_D     Host starts with d-d-d-d
> >   1.2 HOST_EQ_STATIC         HOST_EQ_STATIC
> >   0.7 FH_HOST_EQ_D_D_D_DB    Host is d-d-d-d
> >   1.3 HOST_EQ_CHARTER        HOST_EQ_CHARTER
>
> Neither of these is in stock SA 3.2.5, nor pulled by
> sa-update for any 3.2.x version. Sorry, too lazy to check all
> old and not-updated versions. Minus 3.9...
>
> >   1.9 TVD_RCVD_IP            TVD_RCVD_IP
> >   0.5 FROM_NOT_REPLYTO       From: does not match Reply-To:
>
> Not stock SA, and *does* happen frequently on lists. Local rule.
>
> >  -2.6 BAYES_00               BODY: Bayesian spam
> probability is 0 to 1%
> >                              [score: 0.0000]
> >   1.5 SAGREY                 Adds 1.0 to spam from
> first-time senders
>
> Custom, third-party plugin. Use at your own risk. Explicitly
> mentions in the description, to add 1.0 points -- raised
> arbitrarily by you. Local rule, local problem.
>

> > can someone help me formulate a good rule to reduce scoring.
>
> You do not need a good negative scoring rule (besides
> proposals for rules already posted), you seriously need to
> review your custom rules.
>
> According to your rules hit, stock SA merely would score 1.9
> for the single TVD_RCVD_IP hit. Plus Bayes (which affects
> this rule's score) and even subtracts significantly for you.
>

> 1.9 -- this is a local problem with your custom rules.

Karsten,

thank you for your analysis...  :-)

i had forgotten about (not in a bad way) the use of some FVGT sets etc...

those rules help catch spam.

00_FVGT_File001.cf:
  Rule Name                     Score     Ham   Spam   %of Ham   %of Spam
  FH_HOST_EQ_D_D_D_D             0.67   1505   9458     1.14%      7.31%
  FH_HOST_EQ_D_D_D_DB            0.69    663   6756     0.50%      5.22%

88_FVGT_headers.cf:
  Rule Name                     Score     Ham   Spam   %of Ham   %of Spam
  HOST_EQ_CHARTER                1.29     42     61     0.03%      0.05%
  HOST_EQ_STATIC                 1.17    157   2224     0.12%      1.72%

sagrey.cf:
  Rule Name                     Score     Ham   Spam   %of Ham   %of Spam
  SAGREY                         1.50      0  111668     0.00%     86.33%

SAGREY on a daily basis is more like 90 to 93 percent. i ran the simple
analysis script against a longer period of time and there have been some
minor changes in between.

yet... thanks for pointing this all out. i just grepped the rules against
that directory and gained some extra enlightenment.

regardless, the original question stands, and i thank all of you for your
advise.

i have applied the necessary fix and things are just fine.

everyone's help has been fantastic. thank you!

:-)

 - rh