On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 13:05 -0700, RobertH wrote:
> > From: Karsten Bräckelmann

> > The real impact isn't the DNS query, but whenever an update
> > has been pushed. If everyone would check once an hour, the
> > full load would have to be shouldered in 60 minutes, as
> > opposed to evenly distributed about, say, a day...
> >
> > It's the same classic problem with uninspired admins, running
> > such cron jobs strictly at a full hour.
>
> why not change the wiki to be far less ambiguous on this issue, and put out
> a specific decree to *all* admins in these regards ?
>
> if there is a more specific better way to deal with it, change it and make
> it better and let us all know how it must be done.
>
> anyone can find fault with anything given enough opportunity.
>
> thank you for humbling my day.

Oh, come on, Robert -- I didn't say your way is abusive, just overkill.

The most part of this discussion isn't specific to you, nor SA. It's a
well-known, general problem when running update services. It isn't meant
to be a decree either, it's partly my opinion, partly best-practices.

You shouldn't take it personally.

--
char *t="\10pse\0r\0dtu...@ghno\x4e\xc8\x79\xf4\xab\x51\x8a\x10\xf4\xf4\xc4";