Charles Gregory wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Adam Katz wrote:
>> I read recently that that's a Bad Thing (and I'm leaning on agreeing):
>> http://www.backscatterer.org/?target=sendercallouts
>
> The most compelling argument on that site is one that almost slips by
> un-noticed. A spammer could very well forge a honeypot as a sender
> address, causing my system to 'send mail' (a verify) to a honeypot, and
> possibly get blacklisted. And this would also open up a way for spammers
> to 'poison' honey pots by having them blacklist so many legitimate
> servers that the blacklists have to be thrown out.... Ouch.

Actually, that's referring to backscatter itself.  You should never send
bounce messages, challenge-response, vacation messages, or other
automated responses to external accounts via email.  It should be done
with SMTP codes during the initial transaction.  See:
http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/329.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_spam
and of course, the rest of the www.backscatterer.org site.

The more pressing point (since fixing the one you mentioned is pretty
simple) is that when you use a call to a sender's MX record and either
use SMTP's VRFY command or pretend to begin a message, you're wasting
their bandwidth and even acting like a spammer yourself.

In extreme cases, this is also an accidental DDoS attack.  A spammer
aware of such mechanisms can use SAV-enabled servers LIKE YOURS to
purposefully launch DDoS attacks against whomever they're forging.