On Fri, 24 Apr 2009, Igor Chudov wrote:

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 01:31:37PM -0700, John Hardin wrote:

Do you have administrative access to ak74.algebra.com? That looks like
it's your MX host.

Yep, it is my MX host. I have root access, it is a 5 year old Fedora 3
server.

Cool.

If so, a MTA rule that rejects any message from the internet having a HELO without a period may block a lot of that.

If not, a SA rule that looks for such a HELO in the Received: header that ak74.algebra.com adds might help.

Do you have examples of both kinds of such rules?

I am especially interested in the mailserver side, as I have a lot of
accounts handled by that server.

I do that check using milter-regex. A sample config file is at http://www.impsec.org/~jhardin/antispam/ - you'd have to edit it to match your needs for domain names and local MTA IP addresses.

I don't have a rule for SA, as I block that at the MTA.

  Win95: Where do you want to go today?
  Vista: Where will Microsoft allow you to go today?
 Today: Max Planck's 151st birthday