option8 wrote:
on my small server setup, i host around 30 domains. between SA and a fairly
aggressive exim setup, very little spam gets through to the end users. most
of it doesn't even get far enough to hit my logs.

however, one domain that i host gets constantly bombarded, and has since i
took it over from another ISP a few years ago. most of these connections
look like dictionary attacks (joe@, bill@, admin@, webmaster@, etc) or
backscatter/bounces.

at first, i thought it might be an attempt at a DOS on them (or me), since
my traffic spiked right after i took over the domain, but it hasn't let up.
is there any particular reason this might be happening to just this one
domain?

beyond that, is there any hope of this ever stopping? short of offloading
their MX to gmail or something, i feel like i may be stuck with fending off
a ton of spam for this one domain, while the rest only ever see a trickle.

--option8.

I have a few of those myself. And since I took over filtering it's down some but they still get a few hundred thousand spams a day. So - it's probably not going away.