Marc Perkel wrote:
> What I've noticed is that domains with catchall accounts are
> usually the ones that get abbused this way. MTAs the reject bad
> email addresses at SMTP time are not what spammers like when it
> comes to choices of domains to spam or spoof.

To clarify, from the senders' perspective, accepting and then
/dev/nulling mail (rather than rejecting it at SMTP time with "no such
user" or "rejected for spam" style messages) is the exact same thing
as a catch-all.

When I moved my company's setup to a reject-based system, our spam
traffic all-but zeroed pretty quickly.  90% of the rest of it is
caught quite nicely by greylisting (implemented a while after that
move), and the remaining volume gets eaten by SpamAssassin.