On 9-Jun-2009, at 07:42, Adam Katz wrote:
ktn wrote:
By default, the spamd daemon does not allow user defined rules.
Hostmonster needs to set "allow_user_rules" to 1 in the system
configuration file. I asked about this and that's something that
they will not do.

LuKreme wrote:
It's a good thing there are other hosting companies that are not
willfully retarded, isn't it?

No, I'd consider that a rather sane decision. Back when my distribution
had user accounts with shell access, I had custom rules disabled too.

Sue, but how long ago was that? The way to properly host people now is with virtualization. They have their 'own' machine and what they muck up can only much up THEIR "machine". Might not be the best choice for a small hosting company, but for a large one anything else seems senseless. Heck, even for me, if I ever get back into hosting it is going to be purely with virtualized machines. You want ftp and non- secure email? Knock yourself out. I have a restore image handy to put the system back when you get totally pwned.

The reason is that some people don't understand how to write rules,
putting mundane words, often without word-breaks, or enormous globs that
just destroy the system's efficiency.  Then they score these
poorly-written rules with ten points and wonder why they're missing so
much mail.

Yes, and people buy chainsaw to cut down trees and take off their legs. This is not the fault of the store selling the chainsaws. This is why you make sure they can only touch their own trees.

--
I know you won't believe it's true
I only went with her cuz she looked like you