Hi,

> sa-update lint checks the rules in a sandbox, and does not update the
> local channel, if there are any issues. Moreover, do NOT copy these
> updates to your site config dir -- but keep it in the update dir where
> sa-update puts them [1]. SA knows how to use them instead of the
> "install-time" default conf.

Okay, great. That is what I have now done. I actually have multiple
mail servers, none of which have direct access to the Internet other
than inbound SMTP, so I have sa-update running on another box, which
creates a tarball, which is then scp'd to the mail servers and
extracted.

For me, this now means the sa-update channels are in
/var/lib/spamassassin/3.0005/ and my local site-config is
/etc/mail/spamassassin, where local.cf and init.pre reside.

I also spent much of the day reading docs. I've worked with Linux now
for many years, and have been involved with SA, just not to the level
that I'm involved now.

> It's a rather bizarre picture I'm sensing here. From your recent posts I
> understand you are running a mail server for a large organization. Yet
> there is this cannonade with rather basic questions...

guenther, I knew you were a smart guy :-)

Yes, there is a bigger picture; hopefully I get some cred for trying
to tackle this on my own (with the help of others more experienced).

Anyway, I'm trying to use sa-update to install the SOUGHT rules, and
linting them shows this:

[17021] warn: config: invalid regexp for rule __SEEK_AY2NNY: /This
place is so exclusive, how did you get an invite\x{e2}\x{80}\x{a6} /:
/This place is so exclusive, how did you get an
invite\x{e2}\x{80}\x{a6} /: Can't use \x{} without 'use utf8'
declaration

I'm using perl-5.6.0; is that the cause?

Thanks again,
Alex