Mike Cardwell wrote:
Marc Perkel wrote:

Backscatter.org is the worst RBL on the planet. If you use it you will get a lot of false positives.

Lets compare backscatterer's recommended usage of their list in your favourite MTA against your own recommendation for usage of your hostkarma RBL in your favourite MTA:

1.) HostKarma:

deny dnslists = hostkarma.junkemailfilter.com=127.0.0.2

2.) BackScatterer:

deny senders     = :
     dnslists    = ips.backscatterer.org
     log_message = $sender_host_address listed at $dnslist_domain
     message     = Backscatter: $dnslist_text

I would argue, and I expect few would disagree, that you're more likely to get a false positive from the first than the second.

Or were you ignoring the large bright red warning signs and usage information on http://www.backscatterer.org/ ?

I'll disagree with that. A lot of the backscatterer list is sender address verification calls. If someone is doing sender address verification then they are filtering spam and those who filter spam are not sending spam. On my system people doing SAV get white listed - not black listed.

This might be more accurate:

accept !senders = :
  dnslists    = ips.backscatterer.org