On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 17:10:01 -0500
Chris <cpoll...@embarqmail.com> wrote:

> I have an entry in a what I call "my-whitelist.cf"
> in /etc/mail/spamassassin:
>
> whitelist_from_rcvd blackwell_...@yahoo.com yahoo.com
>
> If I run a message from this person with spamassassin -D -t msg
> shouldn't I get a hit on USER_IN_WHITELIST or not?

The trouble with whitelist_from_rcvd is that it relies on the MX server
recording reverse DNS  - most do, some don't.

> Also, I'm still not sure I have my trusted_networks setting correct. I
> have this in my local.cf:
>
> trusted_networks 192.168/16 71.48.160.0/20 71.54.96/19
>
> Here is a line of Received: from headers from a test mail to myself:

> If I read the below correct this is a listing of all CIDRs in the
> embarq AS range:
>
> http://www.cidr-report.org/cgi-bin/as-report?as=as6367&view=2.0
>
> should all of these be listed in the trusted_networks entry or do I
> misunderstand the concept still?

Absolutely not, it leaves thousands of back-doors open. Just use the ip
addresses used as servers, not customer addresses. /24 ranges based
on the server addresses you've seen in headers are usually a safe
compromise. Often the servers between you and the MX server use private
addresses, which makes things a lot easier - you can safely list all
private addresses. The best way to tell is to send test messages from
external mail services or look at real mail - mail from yourself can be
misleading.

If you are using an ISP  for your mail you're conservatively advised
to put them in trusted_networks because that behaves least badly for
the worst case ISPs.

In practice it's almost always better to put them into
internal_networks so SA knows where the real MX servers are,
particularly in your case since embarq records authentication on it's
submission server, note the "with ESMTPA" in your headers.