On 10.08.09 11:24, Rick Macdougall wrote:
> I can't speak for others but at my main job (20K+ email accounts) it
> happens about once every 2 month's or so.  Some how the spammer gets a
> hold of someone's password and either uses smtp-auth or webmail to send
> out spam.
>
> How ever, I know of two other companies that I do consulting for where
> it happens almost weekly (one of them, 4 different users in the past 2
> weeks).  Both of these companies have their web presence and email
> hosted on the same machine, so it would not surprise me if the passwords
> had been some how compromised.

Do they provide unauthenticated SMTP relay from their own IP space or not?

Because if not, there's not much to compare.

I found blocking user's account much easier than blacklisting the source IP,
especially when it may change.

There's a long-standing bug relating to the x86 architecture that
allows you to install Windows.   -- Matthew D. Fuller