Kent Borg wrote:
> I admit I have been ignoring Spamassassin because it seems to work.  I
> have been pleased that Spamassassin has been regularly flagging over 94%
> of my spam.  And this list seems active (if mostly ignored by me).
>
> But this e-mail caught my eye.  Indeed, the version on spamassassin.org
> is old and the version offered by my Ubuntu installation matches.  Well,
> if it is working pretty well in the face of rising spam volumes, that
> seems OK.
>
> But what about the sa-update rules?  They are probably newer...yes, but
> my rules are from 2009-3-13.  Do I have the latest?  Is there a better
> source from which to draw rules?  Am I coasting on my ongoing spam/ham
> training?

The SA core rules are not updated very often.  For the most part, they
just work.  If you are not already doing so, you may want to consider
Justin's Sought ruleset.  It is dynamically generated and updated every
4 hours or so.

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/SoughtRules

I am also using these two from SARE:

90_2tld.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net
90_sare_freemail.cf.sare.sa-update.dostech.net

and some of Adam Katz's khop rules (http://khopesh.com/wiki/Anti-spam):

khop-bl.sa.khopesh.com
khop-blessed.sa.khopesh.com
khop-general.sa.khopesh.com
khop-sc-neighbors.sa.khopesh.com

(which also include Marc Perkel's HostKarma blacklists ... and white
lists and yellow lists and brown lists ...  :)

--
Bowie