Charles Gregory wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Nov 2009, Bowie Bailey wrote:
>> The SA core rules are not updated very often.  For the most part, they
>> just work.  If you are not already doing so, you may want to consider
>> Justin's Sought ruleset.  It is dynamically generated and updated every
>> 4 hours or so.
>>
>> http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/SoughtRules
>
> Is there a way to examine the sought rules *before* installing them into
> my spamassassin? Or at least a 'readme' so that if I download them via
> sa-update I can know which files will be created and how to remove them.

The sa-update channel will put the rules into
"/var/lib/spamassassin/3.002005/sought_rules_yerp_org/20_sought.cf".
You can take a look at the rules there (all 293 of them at the moment).

> I have a number of custom rules and want to vet the auto-generated
> rules for overlap....

Since the rules are constantly changing (every 4 hours), I'm not sure
how useful it will be to look for overlaps.  If you find an overlap in
one version of the ruleset, it may disappear in the next update.

Actually, looking at my stats, I'm not seeing the Sought ruleset being
very helpful recently.  The best rule, JM_SOUGHT_FRAUD_3, hit less than
1% of my spam in the last month and the worst rule, JM_SOUGHT_3, hit
0.33% of spam and 0.45% of ham.  Anyone else seeing this?

The best rules for me at the moment are Razor2, DCC, and URIBL.

--
Bowie