On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Yet Another Ninja wrote:
..... 'just change the score' is not the correct answer.
the answer is totally correct.

No, it is not. No more than it is correct for a spammer to offer me a (working) 'unsubscribe' link. I don't want to discover I've been letting spam in the door and get complaints from users because of one (or more!)
'default' settings that are permitting spam.

The 'correct' answer that is being sought is to judge the entire underlying 'policy' mechanism for spamassassin which results in the *category* of choices about negative scores of which the habeas rule is only ONE possible example!

 The correct answer will be precisely why this state of affairs exists.
- because developers think/have thought its a good idea.

SLAP! Don't restate the question like its an answer. He asked for reasoning behind the choice, not whether the developers *liked* their choice. Of course they liked it. WHY did they like it?

- because nobody other than you makes such a noise about it.

There's a good point. Why *does* this person see so much spam with the habeas rule in it? Which leads to the obvious corrolary, it seems likely that the habeas rule got a negative score because it only appears in ham in the SA 'master' test corpus. Why is THAT? What skews the messages contents so badly? What is different between the two? Anyone thought to sit down and question it?

I'm not even blindly accepting his assertions. I used to devalue habeas back when it was the 'haiku' variety, but I haven't had a problem lately, even without a special score. So why is there a problem for him?

- Charles