On Mon, 2009-12-14 at 23:07 +0100, Yet Another Ninja wrote:
> On 12/14/2009 10:55 PM, Daniel J McDonald wrote:
> > I'd love to have the clamav unofficial signature families scored.  I
> > have a fine guess as to how relevant they are, but it is just that - a
> > guess.
>
> someone, somewhere is alreay converting ClamV signatures to HUGE (slow)
> rule files, forgot where I saw them. Google around...

That's not the issue.  I have no problem scanning with clam and no
problem associating some signature families with scores rather than
blindly discarding.  The issue is:  how much should I trust the various
sets of signatures?  Although I have a fairly good feel for it based on
intuition, there is nothing like a mass-check to settle the matter.

That's the issue with pulling all of the whitelists out of the scoring
mix - the whitelist components are part of the mix that allows 5 points
to indicate spam.  And I was trying to counter the argument that we
should simply rip those pieces out and expect that, when people
re-assemble them piecemeal, the end result will still be 5 points for
spam...

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281, CNX
www.austinenergy.com