On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 07:29 -0600, Daniel J McDonald wrote:
> That's the issue with pulling all of the whitelists out of the scoring
> mix - the whitelist components are part of the mix that allows 5 points
> to indicate spam.  And I was trying to counter the argument that we
> should simply rip those pieces out and expect that, when people
> re-assemble them piecemeal, the end result will still be 5 points for
> spam...

Clarification: I, for one, was only proposing that the whitelisting
plugins and rules that query external databases are removed from the
standard ruleset and sa_update and placed in a separate library of
optional rules.

My reasons for making this suggestion are:

- all URIBL tests can be disabled with skip_rbl_checks. All
  whitelist/blacklist rules should be controlled by this preference,
  hence it should already be possible to disable them without impacting
  any other standard rule.

- they can safely be excluded from sa_update since the rule(s) and
  plugin will not change during the life of an SA version. Apart from
  bugfixes all changes[*] that affect message scoring are applied to
  the external database by its maintainer.

- the act of separating these rules from the main rule corpus makes it
  clear to SA admins that they are optional. It also has the side-effect
  of removing their maintenance workload from SA devs.

[*] apart from score adjustment, obviously.

Martin