On Thursday 17 December 2009, jdow wrote:
> [...]

So do I, but mine is alu, and corrosion over about 50 years has taken its
toll on how smoothly it operates.  But like yours, it still worrks, just
needs a shot of wd-40 occasionally.

>Learning to calculate with slide rules is an important step to being
>numerate. You can forget actually using the slide rule. But being able
>to hammer out answers on it for complex problems leads to a really good
>ability to estimate answers. That way when the nice digital CPU coughs
>up a digital hairball answer to a problem you can see the error at a
>glance.

Yup, great teacher, for a kid with a grammer school education way back when
the 50L6-gt was a brand new tube.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)