On 12/17/2009 10:30 AM, RW wrote:
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:36:12 -0500
Michael Scheidell<scheid...@secnap.net>  wrote:

On 12/16/09 9:27 AM, Thomas Harold wrote:
I'm guessing that you'd also want to change the autolearn
thresholds to be stricter?  Like only auto-learning if it scores
below -2 or above +10?

(That might be an amavisd-new feature.)
I still use 0, but have the high score at +15.

The default is 0.1 IIRC, and I wouldn't recommend setting it lower
without negative-scoring custom rules - it's set positive for good
reasons.

BAYES and "userconf" whitelisting rules don't count for autolearning, so
if you set a negative threshold with the default rules, you rely on
DNS whitelisting to define ham - the likes of HABEOUS.

Setting it at exactly 0.0 is also problematical since the decision to
learn is commonly going to be determined by nominally scored rules that
score 0.001 and -0.001.

Looking at the wiki...

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/BasicConfiguration

We're not using "userconf" whitelisting, our whitelisting is done by amavisd-new mappings (where we score specific domains/addresses with a small -2 to -5 score).

The wiki, as it is currently, makes it sound like the +0.1 default for ham auto-learn is not conservative enough. And that the +6.0 default for auto-learning spam is too risky.

(We run with -0.5 and +9.5 as our boundaries for auto-learning.)