On 2/2/10 5:38 PM, "dar...@chaosreigns.com" <dar...@chaosreigns.com> wrote:

> On 02/02, Marc Perkel wrote:
>> Why would you want to catch domains without SPF as SPF has no
>> relationship to detecting spam?
>
> SPF is entirely about spam.

Sorry, but SPF is entirely about ham.  We use SPF with vendors who want to
ensure that we receive their mail.  They must either provide a valid SPF
policy or use DKIM signing in order to be added to our whitelist.  It's
specified in all of the bid documentation.

> http://www.openspf.org/Introduction
>
> If everyone uses SPF, all we need to block all spam is these rules
> (SPF_NOT_PASS alone should do it), and a blacklist of domains that have
> SPF records including IPs that send spam.

Spammers will often create a rule like spf=v1 all.  That always matches, so
their mail is now SPF compliant.  Better to use it for personal
whitelisting, and as an anti-spoofing filter (if it doesn't match our SPF
policy, we didn't send it so it should be considered as SPAM)

> SPF is easy, there's a wizard http://www.openspf.org/, then you paste
> the results into the DNS TXT record for your domain).

Yes, we all know how to set up SPF.

--
Daniel J McDonald, CCIE # 2495, CISSP # 78281