Kai Schaetzl wrote:
Ted Mittelstaedt wrote on Tue, 09 Feb 2010 12:58:01 -0800:

Our SA installation
is correctly tagging this as spam and sending it forward
to the user.

Well, the usual procedure (*) is to add headers that identify the message as spam and maybe even show the score, so users can have the mail client file it to junk. I would consider adding "Spam" in the subject as a courtesy. You do not have control over the subject at all, it could even come from another system and be already "tagged" as spam there. However, you have control over the headers you add yourself and there's where the music should play.

In an ideal world.

(*) I personally think that it's a waste to deliver all these messages, anyway. We put all messages over a certain score in quarantine and there's almost never a need to release one.

That would mean even more expensive support labor having to be spent on e-mail since now we would have to putz around with a quarantine. One of our ISP customers does this with mailscanner, (we built his server, BTW) but they have a lot fewer end user customers.

With us, we have a great many very uneducated/inexperienced/untrained
users and subject line munging is about the most they can handle.  I'd
estimate only about 2% of them actually use the filtering in their
MUA's and 1% of them avail themselves of the procmail-based filtering
on the server.  Even less than that avail themselves of the PHP-based
interface for SA that I put onto the server that allows them to
TURN OFF the subject line munging.

There's no question that subject-line munging is inelegant and a
perversion of the Correct Way to do e-mail.  But it's necessary when
your dealing with mail users who you have to hit over the head with
a 2 x 4 to get them to notice something.

Ted

I was about to ask about the message, but I just see that you posted it now.

Kai