On 16.02.10 15:31, dar...@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> If valid RDNS were a usefully unforgable way to detect spam, I like to
> think there would be more of a push to straighten it out.  But spammers
> have quite a lot of IPs to use with valid RDNS already.
>
> So I think requiring it for something that has a better chance of blocking
> spam has a better chance of getting RDNS set up properly.

At least some spammers tend to adapt, SPF might be a good example (no, they
did not epxloit it, they only exploited people who misunderstood SPF).

Why do you think that more regular admins than spammers will adapt onto this
scheme?

>From this point of view, MTX is very similar to Spamhaus PBL - they indent
to mark IPs that are either supposed to send mail (MTX) or _not_ supposed to
send mail (PBL). Since not all of admins trust PBL (and SPF, DKIM) at SMTP
level, I'm not sure wheter they will trust MTX at this level.

There can always be some idiot trying to deliver his "correct" mail from
braindeadly broken mail client through misconfigured mail server from an IP
without rdns, listed in every possible blacklist, and admin who thinks this
is a good reason not to trust any of those spam signs.

> On 02/16, Marc Perkel wrote:
> > I'm looking over your MTX site and like SPF I don't understand how it
> > stops spam. Thanks for at least addressing in part the email forwarding
> > issue.
>
> To take an example off the end of my log file:

I think we even do not need examples. MTX mark should clearly indicate which
host is supposed to send mail and which is not.

MTX depends on both reverse and direct domain, which means you need to have
access to both to provide valid MTX record.

This also means that changing either reverse or forward DNS name will
invalidate existing MTX record, which I believe is correct for positive (may
send mail) records, but imho it's incorrect for negative (may not send
mail) records.

It also means that setting up MTX is a bit harder and less error-prone.

> > In order to be a white list you have to do something spammers can't do.
>
> That's why a blacklist of spammers using MTX is necessary.

Blackists are necessary in all ways imho. While correct SPF/DKIM reduces the
need for blacklists/whitelists to domain _name_, lists like PBL/DNSWL reduce
that to IP addresses. MTX attepts to do both, while not attempting to solve
the forging problem that is addressed by SPF/DKIM.

Save the whales. Collect the whole set.