no joy.

doesn't look like the ports version of SA comes with any stock rules
(nothing obvious in the ports dir tree, the work/ directory had en empty
72_active.cf file)... I deinstalled and then installed and it all went
well but it tells me to run sa-update to get the rules, and that's my
problem

You may wish to run sa-update now to obtain the latest rules.

NOTE:  FREEBSD users: If you are updating from a version prior to 3.20.
sa-update now places state files in /var/db/spamassassin and not
/var/lib/spamassassin.  This is to be consistant with Freebsd file
directory conventions.

If you run sa-compile, you will notice that files are in
/var/db/spamassassin/compiled/<perlversion>/<version> instead of
/var/db/spamassassin/compiled/<version>.
No attempts have been made to move old versions over. You must recompile.

===> Installing rc.d startup script(s)
===>   Compressing manual pages for p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.0_3
===>   Running ldconfig
/sbin/ldconfig -m /usr/local/lib
===>   Registering installation for p5-Mail-SpamAssassin-3.3.0_3

r...@spock: /usr/ports/mail/p5-Mail-SpamAssassin
$ sa-update
config: failed to parse line, skipping, in
"/tmp/.spamassassin92852PBQ5Yktmp/72_active.cf": mimeheader
__TVD_MIME_ATT_AOPDF   Content-Type =~ /^application\/octet-stream.*\.pdf/i
config: failed to parse line, skipping, in
"/tmp/.spamassassin92852PBQ5Yktmp/72_active.cf": mimeheader
__TVD_MIME_ATT_AP      Content-Type =~ /^application\/pdf/i
config: failed to parse line, skipping, in
"/tmp/.spamassassin92852PBQ5Yktmp/72_active.cf": mimeheader
__TVD_MIME_ATT_TP      Content-Type =~ /^text\/plain/i
channel: lint check of update failed, channel failed

So is there *any* way for me to get this ruleset and put it on my server
and edit out the offending lines in 72_active.cf?? Is there an archive I
can download? (I'm thinking of modifying sa-update to comment-out where
it removes the tmp files)

-lee

--
Fuelly <http://www.fuelly.com/driver/dilkie/golf>