On 12/03/10 15:48, Ray Dzek wrote:
I just received the dreaded URIBL “You send us to many DNS queries”
notice.  This is fine. We have been growing and I am sure our queries
have gone up. But when looking at their data feed service options the
first thing I noticed was that there is no fee structure. I don’t know
about you, but that is always a red flag in my world. Before I even get
past the first paragraph it already smells like a “shakedown”.

Did you actually go through the effort to create a URIBL account and go to the process of requesting a feed?

There is a price structure; it's based on how often you want to do the rsync and how many users you have and it's all shown on that page IIRC.

But…

My real question is how badly is my SA environment going to be impacted
by turning URIBL off? What increase in spam should I expect?

I actually subscribe to URIBL and reject based on hits to the URIBL black list at the SMTP level.

214-2.0.0 169 spamd-connect=3985 33.17%
214-2.0.0 170 spamd-connect-error=0 0.00%
214-2.0.0 171 spamd-reject=559 4.65%
214-2.0.0 172 spamd-sender-marked-spam=9 0.07%
214-2.0.0 173 spamd-tag=100 0.83%

So 559 reject by SA as score >10 and just 100 tagged with score >=5 <10

214-2.0.0 178 uri-bl=731 6.09%

Whereas I've rejected 731 with URIBL.  Draw your own conclusions from that.

I find it URIBL works very well and if you subscribe you get access to a number of extra lists (e.g. URIBL Gold etc.) which also adds extra value and catch rate.

Hope that helps.

Kind regards,
Steve.