Hi,

Remember to respond to the mailing list ... so other users can follow
this also ...

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 2:54 PM, Keith De Souza
<kbdeso...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>>> But are there are reason for dropping it?
>
> I'm having a few errors in my Exim logs from legitamate senders not coming
> through:
>
> ===========
> 2010-03-31 01:22:25 1Nwlbc-0001QS-Ua
> H=host81-136-197-86.in-addr.btopenworld.com (mail.duke.tv) [81.136.197.86]
> F=<l...@dukeandearl.com> temporarily rejected after DATA
> ===========
>
> And after checking my SA logs:
>
> ===========
> Mar 31 01:25:51 mailserver spamd[5379]: spamd: result: . -4 -
> GENESIS_PHONENUMBER07
> scantime=300.0,size=24337,user=nobody,uid=8,required_score=3.2,rhost=localhost,raddr=127.0.0.1,rport=42308,mid=<c7d27527.8a78%l...@dukeandearl.com>,autolearn=unavailable
> ==========

Your required score is very slow ... but thats not the problem.

> I'm trying to understand why is it taking 300.0 seconds to scan a message
> only 24Kb in size??

This is not the way to go ... there could be other problems ... like
SA rules, RBL's timing out ...

Are you running "sa-update" ?

> I'm begeining to think that because SA is taking so long to scan the
> message, it is timing out
> and hence Exim returning a "temporarily reject after DATA".
>
> My thoughs so far is to perhaps reducing the file size that SA takes to scan
> and see if the scan time reduces.

Are there lots of mails in the queue ?

> I may be wrong in my troublshooting methods but I'm not sure why this is
> happeninig at present.
>
> Many Thanks
>

> On 31 March 2010 13:30, Mikael Syska <mik...@syska.dk> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Keith De Souza
>> <kbdeso...@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi Guys,
>> >

>> [snip]
>>

>> > I've read somewhere that the default setting for SA to scan a message is
>> > 500k.
>> >
>> > Can I reduce this, so that SA scans messages 100k and below?
>>
>> Have you tried google first ?
>>
>> http://www.google.dk/#hl=da&safe=off&q=spamd+scan+messages+size&meta=&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=15904d39482f0df0
>>
>> Maybe this one: http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/spamc.html
>>
>> I'm no expert at spamc ... but this seems to be the right settings to go
>> for ...
>>
>> But are there are reason for dropping it?
>>
>> > Many Thanks in advance
>> >

>> mvh
>> Mikael Syska

mvh