On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 15:06 +0200, Mikael Syska wrote:
> > I'm trying to understand why is it taking 300.0 seconds to scan a message
> > only 24Kb in size??

Use the sysstat tool-set to find out what's going on in your system and
fix that.

I agree with those who say that -m 25 is too large a value. If that's
the problem then you don't need to use the sysstat programs to see it -
just run 'top' and you'll see the swap space used value changing and
that kswapd is busy. Try simply deleting the -m option, which uses the
default of 5 children, and see how SA performance changes.

To provide some guide numbers I looked at my two SA setups, which both
use the default number of children:

- My SA rule development rig runs on a 1.5GHz CoreDuo laptop with 1GB
  RAM. It can scan my two biggest spam test messages (412KB and 360KB)
  in 21 seconds: however scan time depends on the message content: the
  412KB message only takes 1 second to scan by itself while the 360KB one
  takes the other 20 seconds. This set-up uses SA 3.3.0

- My main server is a lot smaller: an 866MHz P3 with 512 MB RAM. It runs
  SA 3.2.5. Here are the numbers from its set of maillogs:

  Messages scanned: 2758
  Message size:     min 2072  avg 7223  max 417840   bytes
  Scan times:       min 0.7   avg 2.247 max 21.1     seconds

  I'm using the default SA child process populations. This machine is
  also running getmail, Postfix, Dovecot, named, ntpd, Samba, Apache and
  PostgresQL and is used for Java development as well.

Martin