On 4/20/2010 9:05 AM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
On tir 20 apr 2010 18:00:23 CEST, Bret Miller wrote
them as an organization. You need your email to be delivered reliably to everyone on the internet and that's the only way it's going to happen.

not correct, hotmail gmail yahoo works without isp dependice, why care ?

It doesn't effect all destinations, but it affects thousands of companies who use SpamAssassin to filter their email. And it affects some who use SORBS DUL to reject email outright. To me that's outright crazy, but I support a small non-profit company and my opinion is worthless when it comes to convincing people that rejecting email solely based on how your ISP reports or does not report your IP address is stupid. And on top of that, there are some less-known DNSBL's that include the SORBS DUL and get used to block email.

My users just want their email to be delivered reliably both incoming and outgoing. If I don't care, then legitimate email gets rejected because of others' stupidity. The only part of SORBS DUL I can control is pressuring my ISP to tell SORBS that my IP range is static. So far, that has worked.

There are plenty of other ineffective methods for reducing spam that I cooperate with only because we need email to be delivered reliably-- not because I think those methods are worth anything overall. I'm too small to take a stand on principle. That takes much larger organizations with some clout to effect change.

Bret