This weekend I just setup a mailserver running:

FreeBSD 7.3-RELEASE   generic kernel

then cvsupped the current ports and make installed
on our software.  I'm having no problems at all.
I'll send you more info off list.

This was a clean install.  In other words, I FTP'ed the configs and
mail files and home dir contents to another server, then WIPED this with
the FBSD 7.3 install disk, and then threw on RELEASE, then cvsupped ports, then remade all the utils.

I've never trusted the "in-situ" upgrade procedure, way too much
chance of stale libraries and such lying around and causing problems.
SA is so dependent on Perl and Perl modules, and the Perl modules
have so many dependencies, it could be virtually anything that could
muck up an upgrade like this.

Ted