Hi,

What can I do? Thanks for any suggestions....

This is what I do when I get performance issues, and long-running processes:

1) check for memory issues such as not enough "low" memory using "free -l" and monitor the machine with top and vmstat for a while to get a general feeling of what is actually eating up ressources.

2) check for network issues such as:
- badly configured iptables or selinux or whatever security "feature" that actually prevents the normal operations through sockets
- DNS response times and general connectivity to RBLs

3) try to reproduce manually:

- are you using spamd and a spamc client, or running spamassassin as command line on every mail ?

Excerpt from my .procmailrc

# Pipe the mail through spamassassin (replace 'spamassassin' with 'spamc'
# if you use the spamc/spamd combination)
# The lock file ensures that only 1 spamassassin invocation happens
# at 1 time, to keep the load down.

:0fw: spamassassin.lock
| spamc -f -s 900000
#| /usr/local/bin/spamassassin

- save any email locally say in mymail.txt and run it again using:
spamassassin -D -t < mymail.txt
and get a general feel about the speed, hangs, etc, then run it again and save the output for further debugging, read it slowly.

PS: agreed at "you might have picked up another title". As for GFI I guess
this is it: http://www.gfi.com/mes/

HTH,
John

--
... I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.