On Thu, 2010-07-22 at 12:45 -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> A lot of people have gotten home mailservers running on so-called
> "dynamic" IP addresses - when they have discovered that Comca$t will
> continually approve DHCP re-lease requests for the same IP address.
>
> Often people can go for 4-6 months at a time with the same
> "dynamic" IP address if the gear is on a UPS
>
> Just setup your stuff, get an IP number, then query DNS and see
> what the PTR record for the IP address is, then name your server
> the same as that PTR name, and in DNS setup that name as an MX
> host.
>
> If the IP changes then modify the hostname to the new PTR name and
> modify the MX in DNS and restart the mail process on the mailserver.

Whee, dyndns sounds far easier than that fragile hack.

> Of course you can do the dydns.org route but then your PTR will
> not match the hostname and some servers out there will not accept
> mail from you if that is the case.

Wait, did you just say local SMTP delivering directly? Comcast dial-up
dynamic end-user space is NOT listed on PBL?

I believe we where not talking about outgoing SMTP. That unrelated
setting can stay unchanged in the MUAs. The address appears to be
handled by Comcast anyway, so the SMTP would not be an MX. And from my
understanding, it is unlikely Neil has control over the domain's DNS.

If I would run an SMTP on dynamic space, I'd have it relay via my ISP's
SMTP. Or my own server hosted somewhere else. :)

--
char *t="\10pse\0r\0dtu...@ghno\x4e\xc8\x79\xf4\xab\x51\x8a\x10\xf4\xf4\xc4";