On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 14:18:13 -0500
Rob McEwen <r...@invaluement.com> wrote:

> On 12/30/2010 2:09 PM, David F. Skoll wrote:
> > But I think it's really
> > stretching DNS way beyond what it was designed for and it might be
> > time to look at a different approach.

> But David, every example you've provided requires vastly more
> resources then blocking a spam with a single DNS lookup to rbldnsd.

That's true... for IPv4.  For IPv6, when a spammer can easily command
2^64 separate addresses or more, then even very clever techniques require
on the order of 5 lookups.  And (at least in John's proposal) there's
a serious tension between update frequency and ensuring that the
B-tree structure is consistent.

If you have a local database on-disk, you can do a lookup extremely
quickly.  By definition, a local database has to be at least as fast
as a DNS lookup because when you make a DNS query, the DNS server has
to do a lookup in *it's* local database.

Now obviously, there's a breakpoint at which synchronizing the local
database from the master becomes cheaper than doing lookups.  Right now,
that's quite high, but it will move lower with IPv6.

> Heck, even a dozen separate DNSBL lookups against a local rbldnsd
> server is order of magnitudes faster and less resource intensive than
> accepting the entire message, and running that message against ClamAv
> (one of your examples).

I gave ClamAV as an example of efficient distribution of a large and
frequently-updated database.  I in no way implied that we should abandon
IP address lookups in favour of only content-scanning.

Regards,

David.