On 01/17/2011 10:22 PM, Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
> * JKL <ju...@klunky.co.uk>:

>>> spamassassin doesn't do anything about delivery. it just marks the
>>> headers.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>>     Thank-you for pointing this out.  Naïvely, I thought I could use
>> Postfix to pass the mail to spamc and then have it drop it, instead of
>> sending it onto Dovecot LDA for delivery.  Clearly, this is not the way
>> :(  Back to the drawing board.
>>
>> I know this is off-topic but is there a way for a third party programme
>> to silently drop spam from delivery?
> There are several: MimeDefang, Spamassassin-Milter and amavisd-new come to
> mind.
>
> MimeDefang and Spamassassin-Milter work as MILTERS (see: smtpd_milters or
> MILTER_README in Postfix).
>
> amavisd-new may be integrated either as MILTER or as content_filter or
> smtpd_proxy_filter using either SMTP or LMTP. You probably want amavisd-new if
> you also want a content filter to identify and classify other mail content
> categories (virus, banned, spam, undecipherable and, surprise, clean
> messages) <http://www.ijs.si/software/amavisd/README.postfix.html>
>
> p@rick

Thank-you for the suggestions.

I have Dovecot LDA so Sieve might well be a good idea, but I would like
to inform the sender that the Email was dropped as spam, and avoid
backscatter.   I don't think I can do this with Sieve/Dovecot LDA.

Is MIMEDefang resource hungary, especially when used as a before queue
milter with Postfix?