On Fri, 2011-02-18 at 14:04 -0800, Adam Katz wrote:
> On 02/18/2011 01:46 PM, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > Since three weeks the Debian Mailinglist are hit be several 1000 russian
> > DOTinfo spams and spamassassin score this crap with -4

Spam scoring -4. The .info URI is not your problem, neither the full
solution. It might help in the end, but for now I'd bark up the other
tree...

> > Does someone have a working rule for this crap?

At the very least, you should provide the rules hit. There's something
wrong with that already.

> > I tried :
> >
> > describe TD_INFO   dot info spam
> > body     __TD_INFO /http:\/\/.*\.info/i
> > score    TD_INFO   4.0
> >
> > but it does not work.
>
> And thank goodness for that, your rule is WAAAAAY too broad to be useful
> as it blocks the ENTIRE .info top-level domain (a very bad idea).

It is even a lot worse than that. *boggle*

The reason that blob doesn't work is simple. The actual rule is not even
defined -- but at least you documented your code by giving it a
description. ;) The non-scoring (double underscore) sub-rule is defined,
but essentially useless. Unless you actually meta it somewhere outside
the blob you pasted.

Anyway, there are some fundamental problems with that rule, which
seriously needs to be fixed first.

It is a *body* rule, not limited to URIs. And there's a runaway wildcard
that happily makes the rule accept any 'http://' with the string '.info'
following in the same paragraph. It accepts *anything* between these two
strings, including whitespace. Not even mentioning the missing bounds at
the beginning and end of the RE.

> If you really want to do something that bold, at least limit it to the
> debian list (note, that list-id is a guess, check your headers):
>
> header __TD_DEB_LIST  List-Id =~ /<debian-user.lists.debian.org>/
> uri    __TD_DOT_INFO  m'^http://[^/]*\.info[/:?#]'i

Way better. And actually a uri rule. :)  It's missing a bare domain URI,
though. The "end of the domain part" sub-RE alternatively should accept
the end of the string.