On 3/2/2011 2:31 AM, Mariusz Kruk wrote:
On Wednesday 02 of March 2011, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
Furthermore, many copyright laws have "permitted use"
(sorry, don't know the right english term for it) instead of fair use
which explicitly says what can be done with a work after its first
publishing. And this use cannot be limited by any contract,
Untrue when it comes to electronic works, as a result of WIPO Copyright
1996.

True.
For example, polish Office of Competition and Consumer Protection ruled in
2007 that stamping "any form of copying or distribution" on CD's is illegal
because it misleads consumers into believing they don't have the rights I
mentioned above and forced the producer to change said notice to the one
corresponding to polish copyright law.

http://decyzje.uokik.gov.pl/dec_prez.nsf/0/2DEDF4B2AF9B7717C12574F6002AD7E4?OpenDocument
(sorry, polish only).

Still untrue.  As I said, electronic works.  A CD is treated
in just about every country as a phonograph recording, not an
electronic work.  And if you read the treaties (it's easy they
aren't long) it's clear what the intent is.  WIPO '96 is basically
a subtle plan to greatly extend copyright rights.  Even in 1996
they realized that non-electronic content distribution was
going to be replaced by electronic distribution.  So they
loaded a lot of new use restrictions into the electronic
content, because they understood that as time passed it would
expand copyright rights for more and more creations.

How long do you think that CD's are going to last?  In a
lot of audio forums they aren't giving them more than a decade
before they are mostly gone and it will all be itunes and
such.  Why do you think the book publishers are pushing
kindles and such?

We are in the midst of a time when people's right to use
copyrighted material is being curtailed and the general public
is just sucking it down like candy and hasn't a clue.

People think that Apple is some sort of white knight for
"forcing" the music publishers into using itunes, I laughed
my ass off the first time I read that.  Apple?  One of the
biggest proponents of the "we are going to control everything"
mentality?  They worship copyright.  Far from being forced,
the music publishers chose Apple because of this mentality.

Ted