On 3/8/2011 4:46 PM, Yet Another Ninja wrote:
> I'll never grasp why one would use one of those in mail.

Many legitimate social networks auto-generate shortened URLs. These then
get copied into e-mails... sometimes in automated ways, sometimes via
people copying a twitter post (or whatever) and then pasting that into
an e-mail.

Therefore, many of these make it into e-mails desired by recipients.

At the same time, many of these URL shortening services are highly
abused. For a while now, many of the most abused shorteners didn't have
a very large footprint in legitimate mail. And the more legitimate
services may have seemed to have much abuse, but really had a small
amount in comparison to their legitimate uses. This made decisions to
blacklist not that particularly difficult.

As I understand it, what has occurred more recently is that some of the
services which have a larger number of legitimate uses have had
increasing amounts of abuse. In some cases, it seemed as though the
abuse was flagrant... almost like the service felt it was "too big to
list"... or maybe even was working with the spammers as partners in
crime. Of course, I'm painting with broad strokes and not specifically
mentioning any providers... but I think that is the context for
understanding why SpamHaus felt that it was necessary to get more
aggressive with blacklisting some of these services, even if some of
those domains are found in legitimate e-mails.

Now, with this other new zone, I think that Joseph Brennan when he
stated that he could use this for scoring instead of blocking... for
those redirectors which are heavily abused but have legit uses as well.

--
Rob McEwen
http://dnsbl.invaluement.com/