From: Jason Bertoch [mailto:ja...@i6ix.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:03 AM
To: users@spamassassin.apache.org
Subject: Re: Suggest OCR plugin on Spamassassin 3.3.1 for image spam

On 7/20/2011 9:18 PM, dar...@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> On 07/20, Sharma, Ashish wrote:
>> Can someone suggest some better OCR plugin for Spamassassin 3.3.1 for image
>> spam?
> It still seems strange to me that anybody has ever bothered with using OCR
> to deal with image spam, when it's so easy, and for me not problematic, to
> just block all emails that might be image spam - those with an attached
> image that is embedded in the body of an html mail.
>
> Inlined attached images are not a feature that I find anywhere near worth
> having enough to justify needing to OCR image spam.

Image spam was a huge deal when it first came out, and there were
several sources scrambling to offer a solution, including resources to
involve Bayes on the decoded text.  Those worked well enough to deter,
for the time-being anyway, that method of spamming.

That said, while I agree with your sentiment toward inline images and
HTML mail in general, they are a common business practice and many folks
simply can't use the outright block method.

At my last job, I eventually found that image-spam dropped to such a
significant low that I didn't need OCR anymore but was still required to
allow inline images through.

/Jason